A couple months ago, I sent the following email to 15 of my girlfriends.
I’m taking a poll to see if you are a fellow supporter of June 5th?
In recent years I’ve lapsed, and not properly engaged in any festivities to show my support of June 5th so to rectify the situation I’ve reserved a party bus for an Orange County brewery tour on June 5th. Please let me know if you are interested in joining me on June 5th to collectively show our support of June 5th.
In support, Lori
I was humbled with pride when 12 of them responded back within 24 hours to pledge their support to June 5th. I followed up with this email.
Thank you all for your prompt replies and for your support of June 5th. It looks like we’ll be rolling deep with a crew of 12! The party bus will be at my house at noon. The cost is $35 per person and we will visit 3 breweries. Tastings are on our own. This is going to be a ton of fun!
Now…. You’re probably wondering, “Wtf is June 5th?” This story goes back about a decade, to a random weeknight, when a friend and I were at a bar in Hermosa Beach and found ourselves among a group of lively drunkards who were all there to support June 5th…. We still have no idea what they were supporting, but we joined them, pledged our support to June 5thand the rest is history!
If you must find something associated with June 5th to support I offer you a few options:
- On June 5th 1832 a rebellion broke out in Paris in an attempt to overthrow the monarchy of Louis Philippe! (DOWN WITH LOUIS PHILIPPE!)
- On June 5th 2001 Tropical Storm Allison made landfall along the upper Texas coastline and dumped large amounts of rain over Houston costing $5.5 billion in damages and making Allison one of the top 10 costliest tropical storm in U.S. history (if your name is Allison or you dislike Texas this may be something?)
- On June 5th 1878 Pancho Villa the leader of the Mexican Revolution was born. (VIVA LA MEXICO?)
- If you’re a fashionista…. Salvatore Ferragamo was born on June 5th 1898
- If you’re a fiscal conservative… Suze Orman came into the world on June 5th 1951
- If you fancy yourself a fan of the funky bunch…. June 5th 1971 gave us Mark Wahlberg.
- Religious? June 5th is a Christian feast day. Who doesn’t like a feast?
- If you fancy yourself an environmentalist, June 5th is World Environmental Day
If none of these struck you, I’m sure The Google can help you find something…..See you all in a few weeks! CHEERS…. to June 5th!
I was even prouder when one of my friends said she found out that June 5th is small business appreciation day because we would be supporting 4 small businesses with our celebratory outing!
I can’t say enough good things about Craft Brew Tours and how easy it was to set up the entire thing through a couple emails. This company does brew tours in Orange County, San Diego and the South Bay. Our driver’s name was Brandon. He showed up on time, the party bus was clean and comfortable. He kicked things off by serving us a sample of a brew from a San Diego brewery and off we went!
Barley Forge our first stop, set the bar high. I fell in love with a dark and delicious coconut stout! This brewery has a full on food menu and free popcorn & water. We spotted families playing board games with their kids and a teacher correcting papers. This place won me over!
What cracked me up was finding out that somehow my friends had
bribed convinced Brandon to make a detour to Sidecar donuts! So that became our second stop where we picked up a few donuts to sample.
Out next stop was Good Beer company in dowtown Santa Ana. The employees here were nice, the beers were very tart and biter for our group, but we played some jenga and enjoyed ourselves. The final stop was Noble Ale Works in Anaheim where we enjoyed some food truck grub and Man’s Milk : / (I wish it was called something different.)
Overall, June 5th was successfully celebrated, I had a great time with my friends and Craft Brew Tours earned our repeat business!